There is no one-size-fits-all rule of thumb for the size of the floor or the recommended colour of flooring, as it largely depends on the specific requirements, design goals, and aesthetics of the space. However, there are some general guidelines that can be considered when choosing the size and colour of flooring:
1. Size of Floor:
• For smaller spaces: In compact areas, smaller-sized tiles or planks can create a sense of visual continuity and make the space appear more expansive.
• For larger spaces: Larger tiles or planks can work well in bigger rooms, as they can create a more seamless and open feel.
2. Colour of Flooring:
• Light-coloured flooring: Light-coloured flooring, such as light beiges/woods, and soft greys can make a space feel more open, airy, and larger. It can also help give a clean and fresh appearance.
• Dark-coloured flooring: Darker flooring, like deep browns, greys, or blacks, can add a touch of elegance and warmth to a space. It can also be more forgiving in hiding stains and wear.
Consider the following factors when selecting the colour of flooring:
• Natural light: The amount of natural light the space receives should influence your choice. Lighter flooring can enhance the brightness of a room with limited light, while darker flooring might work better in well-lit areas.
• Room purpose: The function of the room matters. For example, high-traffic commercial spaces might benefit from darker flooring that can hide wear and tear, while healthcare facilities often opt for lighter colours to promote a clean and sterile atmosphere.
• Interior decor: The existing colour scheme and furnishings in the space should harmonise with the flooring colour. The flooring can either complement or contrast with the rest of the design elements to create a balanced aesthetic.
Remember that personal preference and the desired ambiance play a significant role in the final decision. It’s often beneficial to request flooring samples to see how they interact with the lighting and decor of the space before making a choice. At Duraflor we offer a free sample service.
In summary, there’s no strict rule for the size or colour of flooring, but considering the size of the space, the amount of natural light, the function of the room, and the existing decor can guide you toward selecting the most suitable flooring for your project. Ultimately, it’s essential to choose a flooring option that aligns with the overall vision and purpose of the space.
If we can help with your project give us a call, we make everything simple.